Monday, July 9, 2018

It’s Been A While...

I have refrained from posting blogs for quite some time now but a great many folks keep telling me I should write more. I find myself discovering new things to comment about or to discuss every single day and you would think that I would write about them. I have come to the proverbial fork in the road at which I must make a decision. Write more often and make my readers either think, smile or laugh or just simply ignore my blog page. Shucks! Let’s pull a Nike and just do it!

I’ll begin by getting everyone caught up on what’s been going on for the last couple of years. I’ve been playing music as much as possible and scratched an item off of my Bucket List and did a Cruise Gig. I did a lot of hired gun gigs as Bassist and/or Guitarist. I became an Ordained Minister then was finally granted an Honorary Doctorate. I currently hold the position of Bass Tech for a concert group named Stone Echo and have done some fill ins with them on both bass and guitar. Though my primary duties are more directed towards making sure the Bassist for the group has everything he needs and is set up and tuned before a show, I also assist the crew with setting up the stage as well as assisting the Lighting Tech. Needless to say I help with the Load Out as well but the Bassist’s gear always comes first. If any of you have ever been on a touring crew in any capacity, you will understand this to be true in a lot of cases.

I have been in the Music Industry in one element or another as a professional since the tender age of twelve when I was signed to a management company out of Nashville, Tennessee. I suppose you might even say earlier than that as my first paying gig was a solo performance for a private event where I was paid rather handsomely for my age and the times. There have certainly been  times where I took the miscellaneous jobs to help pay bills and even had several of my own businesses in the past but I never completely abandoned my music.

For many musicians, the music we perform or compose is at least as bad as alcohol or drugs for an addict. Some musicians are able to just play occasionally while the rest of us become grumpy if we cannot or do not play. This is the meat of what separates us into two major components. The Professional and the Hobbyist. The Hobbyist will put any income from music into the Household funds and can usually be found sitting in an office somewhere or playing with his buddies in someone’s home or garage. This group of individuals can be found on stage at most local venues such as bars or even city-wide events. The Professionals will almost always only put back into their personal finances just enough to pay their bills and all other monies go right back into the business. You see? Music is a business if that’s what you choose to do for your living. Bassically if you don’t work (play music), you don’t eat. It’s just that simple.

Some, like me, have been around long enough that we have seen and done a lot of things which others wouldn’t even believe if we were to tell them about everything we’ve seen and done as a musician. We’ve also met a lot of really well known Artists and have either opened for a number of them or have been on the stage with them performing. Shoot! I partied a few times with Black Oak Arkansas some years back backstage in the green rooms, on their Tour Bus as well as in their rooms. Jim Dandy didn’t do any sort of rescuing when we were partying back in the day. If you are my age, you will most assuredly understand the “rescuing” reference. I have recorded in the studio or been on the stage with Grammy Nominees,  Grammy Winners and Dove Award Winners. I’ve met some of the most popular Artists of their day. I sold a song I composed when I was nineteen and there are not too many musicians who can say they have done that in their lives. 

Though it is a tough job, I enjoy being on a concert band crew. I’m old and have much experience and can pass knowledge along whenever I’m asked. I’m fortunate enough to have the love of a woman who understands the business and is well versed in all of which being Married to a Professional Musician entails. I wish every one of my music family members were as lucky as this business has a habit of tearing many couples apart. 

For what it’s worth, I’ll be posting more often about somewhat more interesting subject matter. For now just try to remember to recognize your journey and be kind to others. King’s X released an album entitled, “Faith, Hope and Love” a number of years ago and truly we could use a bit more of all three in today’s society. 

Until the next time...

...Toodles!                    

No comments:

Post a Comment