Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Chicken Eggs, Eye-Boogers And A Bull's Ass



Some time ago I came to the conclusion that I am, in point of fact, beginning to get older. I was born in 1958 and by my mathematical calculations (using today's math) this dates me to somewhere between seventeen and nineteen years of age. That's my story and I'll stick to it as long as you let me use contemporary mathematics. Using the math I grew up with I am, however, in actuality more than half-a-century old. Now. That may seem like old to some but to those of us this old and older, it ain't old at all. Younger folk would do well to actually look up from their phones, tablets, and computer games and strike up some conversation with us Old Geezers. With all our years of living has come a tremendous amount of knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge and wisdom which seems to be in short supply these days. Most all the young, whipper-snappers of today lack much understanding which comes from, you guessed it, knowledge and wisdom! Go figure! So. The next time you ask a question of a young-un, you'll understand the reason for the deer-in-the-headlights stare.

This brings me to a quandary. How do we as naturally inquisitive adults attain understanding? Through study. That's how! You don't have to only study books. You must decide to study written texts as well as a life-long, in-depth study of the world and your immediate environment. For example: Several years ago, I was preparing breakfast and was removing several eggs, one-by-one from the refrigerator to lay out to cook. As I moved the eggs from one spot to another, I studied the shape of each egg. They were each slightly different in one way or another but were all “egg-shaped”. I began to ponder about the definitive shape and how eggs came to be shaped thus. After some considerable contemplation as I enjoyed the last remnants of my fried eggs and grits, I decided to see what I may find on the aforementioned subject on the internet. Keep in mind that I am a city boy, born and raised in Greenville, South Carolina and never spent any time on or near a farm. That made me rather uneducated in regards what others might deem common knowledge.


Following a few key strokes on the computer, I found a web-site dealing with nothing but Chicken Trivia hosted by none other than The Georgia Tech Extension Service.  The best part was they had an actual Contact E-Mail Address!  I excitedly went about composing an e-mail explaining my citified upbringing and my pondering over breakfast about how those eggshells got their shape.  In other words, which freakin' "end" of the egg comes out of the chicken first?  I checked my In-box everyday for over two weeks before finally receiving a response from the contact person at Georgia Tech's Extension Service about my Chicken Trivia question.  I opened the message and began to read. “Dear Mr. Davis,....”, it began, “....You are truly one of the World's greatest thinkers!....”  I wasn't sure but I thought I detected some level of sarcasm in the opening statement therein. He continued on to explain just how the chicken eggs got their shape and it then made total sense to me. It was akin to a harsh “Duh!” moment.   No matter the sarcasm interlaced into the response, I learned something that day. I learned because I was curious enough to ask the question.  I never have claimed to be the smartest person on the planet and took the ribbing as part of the learning process.



Here's another example of how I gain understanding from knowledge and wisdom. I was on a hunting trip many years ago on a ranch in Wyoming. I was hunting Pronghorn Antelope. After a rather long morning of trying to figure out the running patterns of the game, I had become hungry and decided to park low into a draw and eat my lunch. As I sat there munching on some cheese crackers and Penrose Sausages and drinking coffee, I noticed a rather large, longhorn bull had come over the rise to keep an eye on me. I kept an eye on him as I made sure I had a quick way to escape should he decide to charge. The bull became relaxed enough to let his attention drift to something else moving on the prairie and he had  turned completely away from me. I sat there sipping coffee watching the bull. I studied his movements and admired his lean, muscular appearance. He swatted his tail to one side then the other to shoo the flies away and that's when it hit me. I've never understood just how my brain worked but there it was just as obvious as could be! A bull's ass is made of beef!



One more thing for you to consider. You awake in the morning and at some point scrape the crusty junk from the inside corners of both eyes. Usually this occurs while sitting in your car at a traffic light as the person in the lane next to you is watching to see what you do with it. Come on! You know this has happened to you! At some point later on in the day, you notice that your eyes feel “funny” and you again put a finger into each eye's inside corner. This time what you find is that soft bulb of off-white, sticky matter I refer to as Eye-Boogers. Most of us will just roll the Eye-Booger between our index finger and thumb rather than wiping it onto a tissue or (Eewe!) licking it off with our tongues. Here comes the conundrum. For those of us who roll it around betwixt digits, where the hell does that Eye-Booger go? It just seems to disappear! Is there an Eye-Booger Faerie that comes and snatches it away from us before we wipe it underneath the car seat or worse, on our pants? I believe what must happen to the Eye-Booger is that the friction of rolling it around causes a disturbance in the magnetic flux of the element, Unobtainium which initiates a linear phase shift in its mass resulting in faster-than-light-speed transfer from one membrane to another effectually causing what a number of scientist have dubbed 'The Big Bang'. I came up with this theory while under the influence of the chemical compound, 3, 4, 5-Trimethoxybenzeneethanamine (C11H17NO3). Awe. Come on, Young-uns! I bet a lot of you are wishing you'd paid attention in Chemistry!  It's another one of those "Knowledge + Wisdom = Understanding" things!


Toodles until next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment