Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Technology, Neighbors and Fresh Milk



I've had a rather busy week and have struggled with subject matter for this week's Blog. I'm tired of the Political Races. You'll know who won by the time you read this any way. I'm outright fed up with the lack of respect for our troops by some individuals. Sorely upset am I with the way other countries perceive us much because of our politician's actions over the years and our apparent inability to search for the truth about the things we do to other countries. I still believe I live in the best country in the world. I just don't have to love the way some things are handled within our borders and overseas. (Time to get off my Soap-Box here.) I've wondered whether to rant and complain about family feuds or my health difficulties. After much thought, I finally decided on a few topics for this week.

Technology! What the hell is going on with the technological advances these days. I used to be able to keep up with new stuff but have found that I'm squarely behind the eight-ball these days on much of the new technology of today. I've discovered that I can no longer impress my associates with trivia about new things coming out soon. I'm often met with resounding retorts about several other new things that are already on the market to which I was not privy. I always tried to keep just ahead of new technology but have found it seems to advance years in just a month. I still remember the days when it took roughly thirty to fifty Key-Strokes to boot a computer. Back then, the only operating system was the Programmer's Language called DOS. Frozen pine sap flowed faster than those first computers could resolve a single, simple mathematical problem. Now? The processors of today are so much faster. And the memory capacity! It makes those early computers look like something from the dark ages. Wait! I suppose you could say they were in the dark ages of computing back then! My phone has more memory and is decidedly faster than my first computer and my phone is five years old!

Neighbors! These are the folks who live nearby. You know? In that house next door, the one across the street and other locations near your house. These are the folks who used to visit us and that we used to visit when I was growing up. We all knew each other and usually had no more than two sore heads or ass-holes who lived in the neighborhood that everyone hated. We never used to grace them with a friendly wave but would turn our noses up if they looked at us. What happened? It seems no one ever knows all their neighbors anymore. We peer at them through the narrow slits in our blinds and wonder what they're up to instead of going over to introduce ourselves and invite them over for coffee or a Bar-B-Que. We live close to them so why don't we know them? Has our trust and faith in Humanity fallen so low or is it that we just cannot bare to miss our TV shows once in a while? Your friends cannot make it into Syndication like your TV Programs are likely to do. When the friends (neighbors) are gone, they're just gone.




Fresh milk! There's nothing like going down to the local dairy and purchasing a quart or a gallon of fresh milk then turning up the container to get a big old swig of contents without shaking it up first! If you're my age or older or have poured a glass of fresh milk in recent years, you know what I'm talking about. The layer of thick, delicious cream that rests on top of the milk! To use some text talk phrases, OMG! That is SFG! The first of the liquid that is poured out of the container with some milk chocolate sauce stirred into it is like silky, chocolate heaven on the pallet. I miss the milk bottles with the paper or foil caps pressed around the mouth of the bottle because all the milk back then had that wonderful layer of cream which every child and every adult craved and often fought over (at least in our house). It's getting harder to find milk with cream on it these days. If you pass by a dairy with a retail store in it someday, stop in and grab a pint of fresh milk. Shake it up then try to just sip it! I think you'll find that you'll turn it up and you won't be able to stop until the last drop is gone. Then you'll go back for another. All this talk of fresh milk has gotten me in the mood for a tall, cold glass of chocolate milk made with fresh milk from the Happy Cow Dairy just down the road from us. You can bet I'm going to pour that milk without shaking the container up first. Mmmmmm!


No comments:

Post a Comment