Tuesday, November 27, 2012

General George Washington, Sixteenth President of our Country


In the past, my Blogs have run the gambit from depressed, to angry and more recently, with this newer Blog Spot, leaning more towards the educational or at least attempting to make you think a little. I've always incorporated a more broad vocabulary because I know there are some that read my Blogs who use their extensive vocabulary for much more than colloquial conversation. Others, I'm sure, either used a dictionary or Googled a word or two. I will say right here that there is nothing wrong with having to look up a word! Please don't leave me hateful comments about educational levels of my readership. I happen to be one who must look up a word two or three times a week. I enjoy doing so, in point of fact. I understand, by doing so, that I am learning. I love to learn about new things. I pride myself on knowing little known or forgotten points in history or knowing things about Science or Technology of which my peers may not be aware.

For example:

How many holidays do we celebrate on the wrong day in this country? Did any of you mention July 4th, a. k. a./The Fourth Of July, a. k. a./Independence Day? What is the correct day our independence was declared? What is the correct title of what we call "The Declaration Of Independence"? How many people signed it and on what dates? Did they all sit down together in a room to sign it as it is assumed in an historical painting by John Trumbull?


First. The aforementioned painting is often referred to as a depiction of the signing of the Declaration Of Independence.  I'm sure if you ask any child and most adults about what is depicted in this huge oil painting almost all will say, "It depicts the signing of The Declaration Of Independence."  It depicts instead, The presentation of said document to the Second Continental Congress. Now that some of you have learned that much.....

Second. Independence Day is not July 4, 1776. Our Independence Day is actually July 2, 1776. It is true! The draft of the document was what made Congress decide to declare independence from England and they did so on July 2, 1776, a full month after discussions to do so began. After the document had been drafted and Congress had ratified it and declared our independence, the text of the document was adopted two days later on July 4th.

Lastly. The document was signed by John Hancock (one of numerous Presidents before George Washington), President of the Second Continental Congress on July 4, 1776. The rest of the fifty-six signatures were not scribed until August 2, 1776 after the final draft had been scribed. President Hancock signed the final draft as well. (One signature did not make the famous parchment until November 4th of that year.)  President Hancock's signature was written so large because the King of England had sworn a warrant for the arrest of Hancock and many others and President Hancock wanted the King and others to be able to read his signature without spectacles (glasses). You have to admire the man's gumption! I wonder if I would have been so bold were I in his place.


It may be noted here that there were a total of fifteen Presidencies prior to General George Washington being elected as the President of our country, recently renamed “The Thirteen Colonies Of The United States”. In short, The United States. “Of America” was added later. Therefore. Though Washington was not the first President of our Country, he was the first President elected by our newly renamed country called the United States Of America. You may be asking yourself, “Who was our Country's first President?” My advice to you is Google it.  I did thinking there were only three Presidents before Washington.

I hope you've enjoyed these two little pieces of trivia which are part of our Country's history. There are many other historical events that are no longer taught in our schools so it is up to each and every one of us to research, learn and teach others about different subjects. History, Science, proper English Grammar and many more subjects could be preserved if we take it upon ourselves as individual contributors to society to pass the knowledge down to future generations. In this way, we won't have to worry whether our children are being taught everything they need be taught.  Maybe next time I'll talk about who first proposed the possibility of Black Holes.  (It Wasn't Einstein.)




1 comment: